Saturday, February 26, 2011

goals and brainstorming

Homeschool, in a nut shell, has been a far better experience then I anticipated. I love seeing the kid's interests develop and I feel so privileged to get to be a part of their discoveries. Apart from their academics, I have also had the time to delve into some character building. I feel that there is still so much that I want to teach the kids about their choices, behaviors etc. and I value the extra time that I have to do this. I also love watching the kids friendships develop. Aiden and Caileigh constantly announce their "best friend" status and as Mikayla grows older I can see her engagement with them grow.

I can't believe that it is nearly March. I think in some ways, with the birth of the boys, our move, I never really thought past Christmas. I realized that some of my original goals have been surpassed while others, perhaps, haven't been met. I have decided to make some new goals from now until June. I have been spending so much time deciding on curriculums for next year and gearing up for both Aiden and Caileigh's 2011/12 school year, that I want to make sure that I don't short change the remaining months of this current year. I've been brainstorming some ideas to fill the final semester.........

Math-Aiden has surpassed my original goals for this subject. I originally hoped that he woud be able to complete Right Start Math A by June. Since we completed that in December, my revised goal is complete 3 new lessons a week with review on the other days. This should allow us to complete roughly 3/4 of Right Start Math B. I may then carry on with 1 or 2 lessons during the summer months to bring us to starting Right Start Math Level C in September. I may have to revise this depending on the material and Aiden's understanding of the material. I am more interested in him having a solid base then completing the book. All his math at this stage is foundational for everything else he will do. I should also state that Aiden enjoys Math and has been self motivated up to this point.

Caileigh has started Right Start Math A but we haven't moved past lesson 25. We are practicing skills with games and doing lot's of preparation so that we can be fully prepared for next year. I may continue to slowly work through the material with her as soon as she has a solid base.

Language Arts- We will continue with our daily printing practice. I am enjoying the variety of using copywork, worksheets, narration and changing the format each day. My goals for June will be for Aiden to continue to improve on the neatness of his work. We are working on printing letters in a word closer together and then leaving spaces between words. We will continue to work on lower case letters.
We are starting to include proper spelling for sight words mixed in with the phonetic spellings. This will lead us into next year when we start spelling practice.
We will continue to aim for a read aloud chapter book every week or two. Aiden will continue to practice his reading to become more proficient.

Caileigh continues to work on daily writing and reading practice. We are 3/4 of the way through "Teach your child to read in 100 easy lessons" and she is starting to read beginner readers. Her writing is fairly clear so we are working on consistency. She continues to enjoy creative writing.

Science-We are looking forward to Spring so that we can continue our study of plants. We are looking forward to planting a garden and going for nature walks each week. I didn't initially plan to study rocks/caves but this was an interest of Aiden's so it was fun to be able to explore it in more depth. We will continue to try different experiments to nuture a love for Science and it's excitement.
Both kids engage together in this subject.

Bible-More memorization, continue to develop a relationship with God. Continue with Sunday School.
Both kids engage together in this subject.

Fine Arts-Study 1 or 2 composer's music. Starting Piano lessons with a book I purchased, "My first piano adventure". I will be giving the lessons.
Organizing an 8 week "sampler" of Highland Dancing.

PE-Increased outdoor play as the weather warms! Looking into soccer.

Career-Look into arranging some field trips. Perhaps a tour of Safeway? Bakery at Lac La Hache? Police Station? Maybe the mill or local businesses?


Next Year
I've decided to start writing and adding materials as I research them. This way I will have all my ideas in one place.
Brainstorming for
Next Year- Some materials I am hoping to start next year

Math-Right Start A for Caileigh. Right Start B for Aiden *need another abacus

Social Studies-Map work, books on Native culture, field trips

History-Story of the World- Hoping to work through this with a mix of read alouds and audio CD. Have decided to wait on this for awhile or possibly buy it but expose the kids to it for fun or during car trips.

Science-Exploring Creation, books on magnetism, posters to classify animals, living/nonliving items etc., science notebook

Language Arts-First Language Lessons for the Well Trained Mind, unit studies, read alouds, narration/copywork, journaling
notebooks to encourage creative writing. Read alouds, Box Car Children, Little House series, Huckleberry Finn, Tom Sawyer, Anne of Green Gables, Stuart Little

2nd Language-contemplating teaching Spanish.

1 comment:

  1. I am brainstorming for next year too. It is so funny how Spring gets us thinking about the next school year! Some neat choices you are thinking on...

    ReplyDelete