We enjoyed our field trip to the salmon hatchery on Tuesday. I think as well as all the interesting things to see and do, the kids really enjoy getting together with the other kids. I sure hope we can make some connections with home schooled families in 100 mile.
In math this week we completed 3 lessons and have been working with money; pennies, nickels and dimes. We played store. I gave Aiden a purse full of pennies, nickels and dimes and then I sold him pieces of popcorn for various costs. eg. 6 cents, 15 cents, 25 cents etc. He was correct every time!
Language Arts: We are working on our Alphabet book. Each morning the kids write out "A is for ........" and we try and take the corresponding picture. We enjoyed coffee at River City Coffee for "R" and time at the fish hatchery for "F".
Printing: daily practice with alphabet book. The kids started writing notes and drawing pictures for Sean.
Reading: Daily practice with beginner readers. We finished reading Charlotte's Web. We went to rent the movie but it was out. We are hoping to have a movie night this weekend and enjoy! I love when we finish reading a book and the first thing Aiden asks is, "Can we read it again?"
Science: We have been learning about different animals and their homes. When discussing how some animals are nocturnal, Aiden replies that he is "double nocturnal" because apparently he does not sleep......ever.
Bible: Aiden memorized The Lord's Prayer.
Life Skills: Aiden and Sean repaired the baseboards in the house. They had to measure and saw the wood. Chores.
PE: Swim class, outdoor play, dancing to music.
Health and Career:
Since my Mom's recent heart attack, there is often much discussion about the health content of our food. We were at Starbucks last week and I overhead Aiden ask the employee, "Does steamed milk have trans fats?"
I asked Aiden what he would like for a snack and he replied, "I think I'll have something with protein."
This week we discussed the different food groups and what each of them do for our bodies. . Each meal we discuss what we are going to have and try to include a food from each group. The kids help prepare where they are able. eg. Aiden cut the cucumber
Next week we will create a chart showing the food groups and examples of food in each.
Next week we will create a chart showing the food groups and examples of food in each.
We have been discussing community at great length. The move, and the alphabet book, has brought up many questions about what places communities have and what makes places unique. Today the kids each created a map of Powell River. Aiden's included home, Safeway and other places we frequent.
Well done reciting the whole Lord's Prayer Aiden! And great work helping dad get the house ready. Ashley - Cool ideas for teaching money concepts. I remember playing store on rainy days tearing my mom's cupboards apart and labeling all the cans in the pantry...what fun!
ReplyDelete