Saturday, March 10, 2012

Math
Caileigh- Adding up dimes, nickels and pennies to create a certain amount, eg. 17cents is given and Caileigh would have to determine how to put that together. Learned how to play the game "corners" where numbers must add to 5, 10 or 15. She completed her mid-term test for Right Start B. (I needed to remind her of place value when adding 316 +10 etc. Once reminded, she could go through the problem and solve)
Aiden- Continuing to create designs and shapes with geometry tools. Finding perimeter of the shapes hidden within the design. Working with equilateral triangles, rhombuses, parralelograms etc.

{Aiden had fun adding color to one of this designs}














As a group we made 3-dimensional objects using toothpicks and marshmallows.

{Caileigh's house}



















Bible "The Lord is my fort where I can enter and be safe." Psalm 18:2
The kids had to finish the sentence, "I feel like I need a safe fort when........"
Reading our lent devotionals.
We've been praying for the woman with cancer.

Language Arts
The kids each came up with a problem eg. the child that slept in too late. They then came up with a solution using Mrs. Piggle Wiggle's methods. I wrote down what they narrated.

The kids started their own blogs. Aiden did a little typing on his own but mostly they have been narrating to me.
We completed a spelling unit and they completed a test on the previous 4 chapters.
Copywork using "copywork for boys" and "copywork for girls".
Read aloud- Swallowdale and The Box Car Children #107

Science

The following expert was taken from Aiden's blog. He has been busy conducting experiments this week.........

When me and Jonathan built a rocket, we were hoping that it would fly. I had the idea to try launching it with vinegar and baking soda. My Dad helped me make a launching pad with pop bottles and vinegar and baking soda. It didn't fly because the baking soda and vinegar weren't strong enough to launch it. I remembered that heavy objects need lot's of force to make them move.




My Dad and I went on the computer to look up rockets. We found how to make pop bottle rockets. We used vinegar and baking soda and a pop bottle and duct tape and three pencils and a cork and some saran wrap. The first time the rocket didn't launch because the cork fell out.




The second time, it launched! It went about 20 feet. It was amazing.


I would like to try this again using the same rocket. I might add some wings to my rocket and add two more pop bottles.

I learned that the light rocket was easiest to fly.

{narrated to Mommy by Aiden}

Aiden also wanted to see if he could make a waterproof lego submarine by building the submarine and covering it with duct tape. He also made a float plane. He says he was pleased with his results. He took a video that I will try and upload later.


























Social Studies
We read through a chapter in The Story of the World.
We completed 2 map pages. They had to answer questions based on directions. eg. which direction do you travel from the store to the library etc.
I gave the kids a compass with paper directions and they had to paste them on the correct space. N, NE, E, SE, S, SW, W, NW.
We talked about how the sun rises in the East and sets in the West. We discussed how knowing this could be beneficial if you are lost or looking for direction. We went for a walk and would stop along the way to figure out which direction we were heading, based on where we knew the sun had risen. (This also lead to our Art lesson down below)

Health We had a big discussion this week about disease and sickness. We were making a meal to take to a woman who has terminal cancer and the kids were asking if they could catch her cancer. Also, after seeing the Watoto Children's Choir the kids were anxious to know if they could catch AIDS. This lead to some discussion about drug use and sex. We talked about how disease can be passed from individuals and what things we can do to keep ourselves safe. We got a book out of the library on colds and flus. The little boys have terrible coughs and fevers and Caileigh has been reminding me how to take care of them after she read the book.

Fine Art
We have been learning that the sun rises in the East and sets in the West.
The kids woke up at sunrise and painted what they could see from our kitchen window.
























The next day we went for a drive at sun set. We took pictures and then painted our sun set picture from home the next day.



























We had fun with shaving cream and food coloring.




















*We had our first Friday Family sharing night. The kids each picked something that they had learned this week and when Sean got home from work, they shared it with him. Both chose to show him their math papers. It was a fun way to get Sean involved and I hope that this is something that we can continue to do each week.

2 comments:

  1. Okay, I just want to do that whole school week! It looks so lovely and rich! AND FUN! bottlerockets!!! Woohoooo! You guys will have to google the diet coke & mentos youtube videos.

    Do you want to borrow the game 'Money Bags?' It is great for change making and we love it.
    And really, any school involving lego is pretty great.
    I {heart} the sunset & jammies photo :)

    ReplyDelete