Saturday, March 3, 2012

Math
Caileigh- Counting by 5's to 100. Working with time to five minutes. Completed worksheets and games. Worked with adding pennies, nickels and dimes.

{Matching clocks with their digital times}























Aiden-Continuing to create equilateral triangles with the geometry tools and learning to divide them into 1/2, 1/3, 1/4, 1/6, 1/8 and 1/12. Answering questions such as, "which is more 1/3 or 1/6" or "how many 1/12's does it take to equal 1/2" etc.

{working with 1/4's and 1/8's}

















Bible "Help me to love your every wish." Psalm 119:80
Reading our daily lent devotionals. Reading Wisdom and the Millers, Leading little ones to God and Wee Lambs.
Watched a movie called, "The Lion of Judah". It is the Easter story.


Language Arts Journal writing, Write About Me.
Spelling unit.
Grammar-finding nouns and verbs within a story. Reviewing past lessons.

We took a list of 20 vocabulary words taken from "Mrs. Piggle Wiggle". We would take the word, eg. ailment, and the kids would tell me what they thought the word meant. We would then look up the meaning in a dictionary. They had good understanding of most of the words but words like, matinee, were unknown.
We also looked at a thesaurus to see how you can find many words to mean the same thing. We talked about how you can take a word like, "nice" and come up with richer words like "cordial" to use in place of.

I had the kids narrate a story to me. I gave them the first sentence and asked them to complete the story. Before they started narrating, I asked them to think about their senses when they wrote. I wanted them to consider how they might feel, what they might hear, smell etc.

Caileigh's story......

One day I took my favorite stuffed animals outside for tea. I smelled something good. I dropped my teddy and went to see what it was. The smell was coming from the back door. When I got there, there was a cookie plate. I went back to the tea party and teddy was still there. When I put the cookie plate on the tea party blanket, Teddy and I ate the whole plate. The End

Aiden's story.....

I was walking along the road when suddenly I stepped in quick sand. I yelled, "Help!" I kept on shaking and I felt dizzy. I was feeling like I was spinning. A person came running up and said, "sommersault over the quick sand!" I sommersaulted out of the quick sand. I'm feeling fine. I continued my walk and went home. The End

Read Aloud-
Swallowdale, book 2 by Arthur Ransome. The book is about 4 children who spend a summer on an island and pair up with 2 local girls. After starting this book the kids played for 2 hours together re-enacting the story. They made a boat out of a tote and a flag using my broom handle and a picture of the swallow printed off the computer. I had to make them a paperbag lunch and they happily sat in the living room eating around their "camp fire". They read books in their individual tents made out of blankets.







































Science We read a book called, "Survival at 40 Below" by Debbie S. Miller
We also read about ground squirrels and how they prepare for winter. We made a list to show how the squirrels preparations might be the same or different from how humans prepare for winter, eg. the squirrels grow thicker fur and we put on layers of clothes.


Social Studies We read the first chapter in The Story of the World Vol. 2.
We completed a map page in our Canada Map book about directions while travelling. Using north, east, south and west, etc.
We studied Uganda. We looked at pictures of the country online. We printed off a map and colored it. We found a website where the kids could color in the picture on the computer and then print off the finished product. We read up on the Watoto Children's choir and then went to their concert on Thursday evening. The kids loved it! It was a great experience and Caileigh tells me that one day she would like to adopt a child that needs a home.
























Fine Arts
We made "puff paint" with flour, baking powder, water and food coloring. We used squirt bottles to create designs and then microwaved them for 30secs to produce a puffed look. The kids had a great time with this project.
























We created "poured paint" pictures..........well, some of us did. Mikayla opted to try body painting!












































Wednesday, we had fun celebrating Leap Year. We took the afternoon off school and watched a movie and ate popcorn instead!

1 comment: