Friday, January 6, 2012

Math-Caileigh-creating rectangles out of smaller triangles, triangle design. Creating patterns. working with hundreds and thousands. Finding the greater number and smaller number. Putting numbers in order going both up and down. Caileigh played a math game with dice to chart the results.
Aiden-Subtraction facts solving with various strategies (going up, going down,) Subtraction through word problems. Reviewing perpendicular and parallel.


Bible "In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth." Genesis 1:1
Reading Bible, Leading little ones to God.


Language Arts- Daily writing practice through copywork, journal, Write About Me (different activities each day)
We completed a spelling unit.
Read-aloud Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiCamillo
We have started a unit on poetry. We have been reading through poetry by Louis Stevenson and other favorites.
We first studied couplet poems. We brainstormed ideas together and the kids put their ideas out while I wrote the poems.

Here is Aiden's poem:

Bat

At night I saw a vampire bat
That was attacking a cat.
At night I saw a vampire bat
That was tasting a fat cat.
At night I saw a vampire bat
That was patting a cat on a mat.


Here is Caileigh's poem:

The Sun

I was playing in the sun
while I was eating a bun.
I was playing in the sun
I decided to go for a run.
I was playing in the sun
I had fun.

We then discussed acrostic poems. We had fun making up a bunch together and then the kids wrote one themselves.
Here is Aidens:
{StarWars.....storm troopers, talented, annakin, R2D2, Walker, attack, race, space shuttle}























Here is Caileigh's (she found her ideas from a book she is reading on dolphins)
{Dolpin......dorsal fin, orca, leap, pods, happy, interesting, nice.}






















In grammar we are still working with action verbs. Completed 2 worksheets. Reviewed all past memorized poems.


Science We completed our unit on Force/Magnets. The kids took a unit test covering all the main learning points of the unit. I really enjoyed using a science kit from Heritage and I plan to use them again in other units!
We continued to read about dolpins.

Social Studies This week we covered two chapters. This is the kids favorite subject and they constantly beg me to read to them! I am going to purchase the audio CDs so that they can listen on their own time as well.
We studied Alexander the Great. We learned about Pharos, a lighthouse. It is the 3rd Greatest Wonder of the Ancient Times that we have studied so far. We created the lighthouse.

















We studied the Ancient people of the Americas. (north, central{meso} and south)
While learning about the Nasca and the incredible art work that can be seen from the air, we wrote on paper with crayon, and then painted over it with water color. It was to show how difficult it would have been to create art without being able to see it. Aiden had the idea to fly his Lego airplane overhead to re-create the discovery of the art.
























The kids put together costumes to act out being native Americans. They played for hours in their makeshift Teepee.
























Health and Career We read about how to respect the eldery.


Fine Arts
We studied a painting by Georges-Pierre Seurat titled, "A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grand Jatte"
Using the book "Making Amazing Art", we discussed how artists use color. We layered tissue paper and were able to see how colors mix to make secondary colors.






















Our final products.
















The older three enjoyed making giant paintings to hang on their wall in their rooms.

PE
Aiden figured out how to "snowboard" on our driveway!


















1 comment: