Friday, February 7, 2014

Term 3-Caileigh

Bible

Reading 1 chapter from James each day and narrating.

























Math

-Capacity, which holds more, which holds less, maximum capacity.
Determining if it is m, cm, kg, g, L, ml, hr, or min.
- Reading and interpreting graphs.
Picture graphs, tables, tally charts, graphs, bar graphs.
Geometry
-comparing shapes.
-Categorizing shapes
- face of shapes, flat faces, curved faces, surfaces, edges, and vertices.
 Looking at cube, pyramid, prism, cylinder, cone and spheres.
Looking at regular patterns and determining what comes next


Completed Singapore 2!

Working through Singapore 3A-
-Breaking apart numbers to the 1000's place value, e.g.. 3000+200+60+3 etc.
-Working with numbers 1-1000 and figuring out 100 more, 10 less, etc.
-Practicing the 1's and 2's times tables.  Practicing skip counting.
-Rounding numbers to the nearest 10, 100 and 1000.
-

Language Arts

Caileigh's piano




A clip from Caileigh's poem from festival (too long to post entire video)




Caileigh has started to work on lesson 1, Rosetta Stone spanish.

Grammar
-homophones, synonyms, antonyms, Describing people, places and things.
letter writing-format, parts, rules
poetry-rhyme, rhythm, word choice.

Writing

-re-writing a passage with adding adverbs
-writing a short story with the starter, "I couldn't believe my eyes......"
-notebooking character traits on characters from "On the Far Side of the Mountain."
-Writing about favourite part of "Lumber Camp Library".
-Lesson 1 in All Things Canada by IEW-finding key words and creating a key word outline.
-Lesson 2- key word outline  and rewriting paragraph.
-lesson 3- KWO adding an "ly" word and a strong verb.
Lesson 4/5-KWO adding "ly", strong verb, strong adjective and 2 vocabulary words
-Lesson 6-all of the above plus adding an "ly" story opener and which/who clause.
-Caileigh wrote a short story and then edited it using the IEW techniques.  She was thrilled to discover her ability to create an edited story!
Lesson 7/8/9-continuing to work on editing writing samples.

Lesson 10-writing an acrostic poem using the five senses and the topic of Canada.
-Lesson 11-Pulling main facts from a written piece to re-write in own words.
(Caileigh realized after that writing with red marker on the poem made the poem a little difficult to read.  Lesson learned)
C-Colossal mountains towering high
A-Aromatic pine trees swaying in the wind
N-Noisy beavers slap their tails
A-Amazing sapphire lakes shimmer in the sun
D-Delicate maple leaves flutter to the ground
A-A ruby red and snow white flag stands proudly in the bright sky
























Rough-unedited Copy

One morening as the sun shone, I was on a hicke in the woods when I saw somthing move in the bushes.  It was a horse!  I knew it was a wild stallion beacuse I had seen it in the forest a lot of times. I reachd into my backpack and pulld oute a carot I had brout for snack.  The horse came clowser.  I walkd slowly home and the horse folowd me.  When I got home, the horse was still behind me.  I went inside and askd my mom if I could keep her.  Mom sed I could keep her.  I went and built a coral for her.  Now evry morning I ride withe my horse.  Now me and my horse are best friends.

Edited Copy

One morning as the sun shone brightly, I was softly hiking in the woods.  Suddenly I saw something move in the bushes.  It was a beautiful horse!  I knew it was a wild stallion because I had spotted it in the forest many times.  I slowly reached into my backpack and pulled out a carrot that I had brought for a nutritious snack.  The gallant horse cautiously wandered closer.  I trampled clumsily home and the horse patiently followed me.  When I arrived home the horse was still trotting behind me.  I excitedly burst inside and begged my mom to let me keep the great horse.  Finally, mom agreed that I could keep her.  I bounded outside and expertly built a corral for her.  Now, every morning I ride with my enchanting horse.  My horse and I are the very best of friends.

Letter writing.  Caileigh received another parcel from her Japanese pen pal sharing books and facts about Japan and her local community.  She also shared Japanese candy and an origami kit.  Caileigh has been working at putting together a parcel to send back including some Canadian maple candy, first nation art, and local community information etc.

-Caileigh coloured a map of the Netherlands.  Caileigh wrote a note booking page on interesting facts of Holland.
Created a flag out of Lego.




















A note booking page on storks, including acrostic poem.




















Practicing poem for Festival-Missing by A.A. Milne

Assigned reading/Narration-

"On the Far Side of the Mountain", by Jean Craighead George
"Lumber Camp Library", by Natalie Kinsey-Warnock
"Emily's Runaway Imagination", by Beverly Cleary

Social Studies

Canada Map Book 2
-The shape of Canada
-Shape and size of the provinces
-Capitals
-Canada's Largest Urban Areas
-Map Symbols-using a map key
-Reading a resource map
-Canada's Physical Regions
-Reading a grid-using a grid
-Northern Ontario
Directions
-Introducing scale
-Landforms
-Water bodies
-Canada's Largest Territory
-Canada's smallest province

Health and Career

-Caileigh enjoys her kitchen day.  She helps to plan the meals, prep food, set table and serve food.





















Caileigh busy preparing granola bars and tortillas on her kitchen day.














-Reading to Mikayla when she was sick.





















Fine Arts

Practicing her festival song and duet.

Science
Caileigh organized the family to get outside for a nature walk.  She had everyone collect items and then
put them together to make a scene.





















-note booking page on ants
-notebooking page on food chain.
-Researching the decline of the Vancouver Island Marmot.  Writing notes from internet sources.  Putting notes into paragraph form.
-Created a poster titled, "Save the Marmots".







1 comment:

  1. Hi Caileigh, I like your stork paragraph and poem. Too bad we don't see the graceful birds around here. Mrs. L.

    ReplyDelete